Am I required to wear tzitzit?

What is the blessing we give to children before Yom Kippur?

Library » Holidays » Yom Kippur | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Yom Kippur Blessing

For a son: May G-d make you like Ephraim and Menasheh.
For a daughter: May G-d make you like Sarah, Rebecca, Rachel, and Leah.
For both together: May G-d make you like Ephraim and Menasheh, and like Sarah, Rebecca, Rachel, and Leah.

The Lord spoke to Moses saying: Speak to Aaron and his sons, saying: This is how you shall bless the children of Israel, saying to them: 'May the Lord bless you and watch over you. May the Lord cause His countenance to shine to you and favor you. May the Lord raise His countenance toward you and grant you peace. 'They shall bestow My Name upon the children of Israel, and I will bless them."

''May it be Your will, (as we stand) before our Father in heaven, that You put in our heart the love and fear of You. That the fear of G-d will be in us all our life so that we do not sin. That we will devote ourselves to Torah (learning) and Mitzvot. That we pay attention to what we see. That our mouth will speak wisdom and our heart behave correctly. Our hands will be busy with mitzvot. Our feet will run to do the will of our Father in heaven. We will be given righteous sons and daughters, who will busy themselves with Torah and mitzvot all their lives. May our sources (of income) be blessed, and our income be provided with the permission, and easily and profitably from Your generous hand, and not (as a kindness) from people. That our income (will be sufficient) to free us to serve G-d. That we will be written and sealed for a good and long life with all the righteous of Israel. Amen''

Holidays » Yom Kippur » About

Mitzvot
Plural form of Mitzvah. Commandments of G-d. Mitzvah also means a connection, for a Jew connects with G–d through fulfilling His commandments.
Yom Kippur
Day of Atonement. This late-autumn high-holiday is the holiest day of the year. We devote this day to repentance and all healthy adults are required to fast.
Sarah
First Jewess, first of the four Jewish Matriarchs, wife of Abraham--the first Jew. Lived in Mesopotamia, and then Canaan, in the 19th century BCE.
Rebecca
Second of the Jewish Matriarchs. Wife of the Patriarch Isaac, and father of Jacob. b. 1675 BCE, d. 1553 BCE.
Aaron
Brother of Moses. First High Priest of Israel and progenitor of all Kohanim (priests) until this very day. Died in the year 1272 b.c.e.
Rachel
Third of the four Jewish matriarchs. Daughter of Laban, favorite wife of Patriarch Jacob, and mother of Joseph and Benjamin. Died while giving birth to Benjamin in 1557 BCE.
Leah
Fourth of the four Jewish matriarchs. Elder daughter of Laban, wife of Patriarch Jacob, and mother of six of the Tribes, including Levi and Judah.