What is the basic purification process (?Taharah?) performed on a body before burial?

When is a Yahrtzeit (memorial) candle lit on Sukkot?

by Mrs. Dinka Kumer

Library » Holidays » Simchat Torah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

When should I light a yahrtzeit candle on Sukkot?

Answer:

The Yahrtzeit candle is lit on Shmini Atzeret.

On Yom Tov we may only light fire from a pre existing fire. Therefore, when lighting a Yahrtzeit candle on Yom Tov, it must be lit from a pre existing flame.

Ed. note: Please also read "When is Yizkor recited?" and also "When is a Yahrtzeit (memorial) candle lit?"

Holidays » Sukkot

Sukkot
A seven day autumn festival commemorating the miracle of the Heavenly Clouds which enveloped the Jews while traveling in the desert for forty years. On this holiday we dwell in makeshift booths and shake the Four Species.
Shmini Atzeret
A joyous one-day autumn festival immediately following the holiday of Sukkot. Outside Israel this holiday is celebrated for two days, the second day is known as Simchat Torah.
Yom Tov
Jewish Holiday.
yahrtzeit
The (Jewish calendar) anniversary of a person's death.