Is a woman obligated to pray thrice daily?

What is Purim Katan?

Library » Holidays » Purim | Subscribe | What is RSS?

The Jewish calendar follows a 19 year cycle, and there are seven leap years in each cycle. The Leap Year contains an extra month: Adar I and Adar II.

Purim is celebrated in the second Adar. However, during the first Adar we celebrate a Purim Katan - semi Purim. On the 14th and 15th1 of Adar I we don't say Tachanun, don't institute a fast day, and don't do eulogies. It is also customary to have a special meal and be extra joyous on that day.2

• 1. Purim is on the 14th and Shushan Purim is on the 15th. See "What is Shushan Purim?" (http://www.askmoses.com/article/529,56435/What-is-Shushan-Purim.html)
  • 2. Shulchan Aruch Orach Chaim 697:1

Holidays » Purim » About

Leap Year
Every 2-3 years an extra month is added to the Jewish calendar. Since the lunar year, which Jews follow, is 11 days shorter than the solar year, it is necessary to keep pace, so that holidays corresponding to certain seasons remain in sync. On a leap year, a second month of Adar is added.
Tachanun
Sections of the prayers involving confession and asking for forgiveness. Tachanun is omitted from the prayers on the festive days of the Jewish calendar.
Purim
A one-day holiday celebrated in late winter commemorating the miraculous deliverance of the Jewish people from a decree of annihilation issued by Persian King Ahasuerus in the year 356 BCE.
Adar
The twelfth month on the Jewish calendar. This month (which falls out approx. February-March), is the most joyous month on the calendar due to the holiday of Purim which is on the 14th and 15th of this month.