I am a single man, is it ok to accommodate female guests?

When do the rules pertaining to the Nine Days start?

by Rabbi Moshe Freid

Library » Holidays » 3 Weeks | Subscribe | What is RSS?

They start at sunset 1 prior to Rosh Chodesh Menachem Av.

Below are the dates for the next few years: 

2009 Sundown July 21

2010 Sundown July 11

2011 Sundown July 31

2012 Sundown July 19 

[Ed. note: Also read "When do the rules of the Nine Days end?"]

• 1. See Magen Avraham 26 on Shulchan Aruch 551. Please note that there are different opinions.

Rosh Chodesh
The "Head of the Month," Rosh Chodesh is observed the first day of every Jewish month. If the previous month had 30 days, then the last day of the previous month is also observed; hence a two-day Rosh Chodesh. Rosh Chodesh is a semi-holiday, marked by Torah-reading and special prayers.
Av
The fifth month of the Jewish calendar, normally corresponding to July-August. The saddest month of the year due to the destruction of the Temples, and the many other tragedies which befell the Jews in this month.