Can I brush my teeth on Shabbat?

What are "The Three Weeks"?

by Rabbi Yossi Marcus

Library » Holidays » 3 Weeks | Subscribe | What is RSS?

“The Three Weeks” refers to the 21 days between the Fast Days of 17 Tammuz and 9 Av. This usually takes place in July.1

This period is officially called “Bein Ha’mitzarim”—“between the straits (or distresses),”2 i.e., days that are between the abovementioned two days of misfortune and distress.

Throughout our history this period has been one of tragedies and suffering. Our first and second temples in Jerusalem were destroyed during these days.

See also "What is the protocol for "The Three Weeks'?"

• 1. See www.chabad.org/calendar for a Jewish-to-Gregorian date converter.
  • 2. The source for this expression is Lamentations 1:3, where Jerusalem is described as a princess whose “pursuers overtook her in dire straits.”
TAGS: three weeks

Jerusalem
Established by King David to be the eternal capital of Israel. Both Temples were built there, and the third Temple will be situated there when the Messiah comes.