What are all the Fast Days?

Is it permitted to work on Fast Days?

Library » Holidays » Fast Days | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Yossi Turk: Bienvenidos Welcome. Un minuto ya lo atiendo. I'll be with you in a moment...

Henri: Is one permitted to work during the Fast of Gedaliah [Ed. note: See Why do we fast on the Third of Tishrei (Tzom Gedaliah)?]

Rabbi Yossi Turk: yes. there are only two fast days when there are work restrictions: Yom Kippur, when it is forbidden to work, and tishah b'Av, when it is preferable not to work. on all other fast days work is allowed

Henri: Thank you very much. No limitations on the types of work?

Rabbi Yossi Turk: correct

Henri: Much obliged!

Yom Kippur
Day of Atonement. This late-autumn high-holiday is the holiest day of the year. We devote this day to repentance and all healthy adults are required to fast.
Av
The fifth month of the Jewish calendar, normally corresponding to July-August. The saddest month of the year due to the destruction of the Temples, and the many other tragedies which befell the Jews in this month.