Will keeping the Mitzvahs usher in the messianic era?

Is it permitted to shower on a fast day?

Library » Holidays » Fast Days | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Mrs. Kumer: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...

Hungry: are we allowed to take a shower today [Ed. Note: The Fast of Esther]?

Mrs. Kumer: yes

Hungry: on which fast days are we allowed to shower?

Mrs. Kumer: all except for Yom Kippur and the 9th of Av

Hungry: thanks

Yom Kippur
Day of Atonement. This late-autumn high-holiday is the holiest day of the year. We devote this day to repentance and all healthy adults are required to fast.
Esther
1. Jewish wife of Persian King Ahasuerus in the 4th century BCE. Foiled the plot of Haman, the prime minister, to exterminate all the Jews. The holiday of Purim commemorates this miraculous salvation. 2. One of the 24 Books of the Bible, which chronicles the abovementioned story.
Av
The fifth month of the Jewish calendar, normally corresponding to July-August. The saddest month of the year due to the destruction of the Temples, and the many other tragedies which befell the Jews in this month.