How is Purim celebrated?

What is the traditional amount for a donation?

Library » Mitzvot » Charity | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Jacobson: Welcome to Askmoses. How can I be of help today?

Brooklynite: What is the traditional amount of a donation? Is it 18? What does this mean or represent?

Rabbi Jacobson: any amount is fine - however 18 is often given, (that can be 18 hundred, 18 thousand etc) b/c 18 is the numerical value1 of "chai" = life

Brooklynite: OK Thank you so much. My kids are making donations to the tsunami victims and they want to give more than their regular weekly Tzedakah. Thank you

Rabbi Jacobson: no problem. Have a fabulous day. G-d bless you

See also "What is the significance of the number 18"

• 1. See "What is gematria and how does it work?" . (http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/137,137156/What-is-the-traditional-amount-for-a-donation.html)

Typical Donation Amount

Posted by: Joey Fox on Nov 01, 2011

Sefardis (Jews of Spanish or Middle Eastern origin) have the tradition of giving donations which are multiples of 26. This is because the numerical value of G-d's name = 26

Tzedakah
"Tzedakah," commonly translated as charity, literally means righteousness, or the right thing to do. Giving to those in need is one of the most important of G-d's commandments.