What is Pirkey Avot?

What is the origin of the tradition to giving money to travelers?

Library » Mitzvot » Charity | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Mrs. Tilles: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...what's on your mind?

Hamilton: what do you know about a tradition of giving money to travelers who are on their way to Israel

Hamilton: A friend is traveling to Israel soon. Is there a tradition of giving travelers money or some other item to take to Israel?

Mrs. Tilles: there is a tradition of giving travellers -- to any place, not only Israel -- money to be given to charity when they arrive at their destination. this way they have the merit of this Mitzvah to protect them whilst on their journey

Hamilton: Wonderful. Thanks for clarifying.

Hamilton: a particular text or source that this tradition draws on?

Mrs. Tilles: the Talmud says that "emmisaries to do a mitzvah are not harmed." I do not know the exact place for the source, if you wish to know the exact source, send an email to mail@askmoses.com1

Hamilton: Thanks so much

Hamilton: good night

Mrs. Tilles: u2, visit again!

• 1. Editor's Note: See Talmud Pesachim 8b.