What is the Omer?

I need a recommendation for a worthy charitable cause

Library » Mitzvot » Charity | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Wow, that is a tough question! There are so many commendable charities -- both religious and humanitarian, that I don't know where to start. I would obviously be amiss if I wouldn't recommend that you support our site, which 24/6 offers help to so many.

When considering charitable causes, local charities should take precedence over others. The following is from the Talmud:1 "[If you have an option of giving charity to] a Jew or a Gentile -- the Jew takes precedence. A pauper or a rich person [who is in need of a loan] -- the poor person comes first. The poor of your family and other poor -- family first! The local needy and the needy of another city, the locals take precedence."

One of the greatest forms of charity is making Torah knowledge available to others
Here's another thought:

One of the greatest forms of charity is making Torah knowledge available to others. Our Sages ascribe the verse "Wealth and riches will be in his house, and his righteousness endures forever,"2   to one who "writes books [of Torah] and lends them to the public." His righteousness endures, just as his books continuously educate the masses.

Today this righteousness is achieved through donating Jewish books to Torah libraries.

• 1. Bava Metziah 71a.
  • 2. Psalms 112:3.