Can I switch Rebbes?

What's the purpose of a Mezuzah?

Library » Mitzvot » Mezuzah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

The purpose of affixing a Mezuzah is to fulfill a Mitzvah - a Divine Commandment. 

One of the purposes for this Mitzvah is to facilitate other Mitzvahs: As a Mitzvah hanging visibly on our doors the Mezuzah is a constant reminder that our homes and everything therein, belongs to  G-d, and must therefore be used properly.

The Mezuzah also serves as protection for the entire home. On every Mezuzah is inscribed G-d's name, "Shadai," which is an acronym for "Shomer Daltot Yisroel," the Guardian of the doors of Israel.

A rolled up scroll containing certain verses from the Torah which is affixed to the right-hand doorpost of doorways in a Jewish home.