What is a brit?

When do I need to put up a mezuzah?

Library » Mitzvot » Mezuzah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

How long must I reside in a residence in order for it to require a Mezuzah? Thanks, Shalom M.

Answer:

One does not affix Mezuzahs to a residence which will be occupied for less than thirty days. So enjoy your vacation, and don't worry about putting up a mezuzah in your hotel room. Also because of this reason, a mezuzah is not affixed to the doorway of a Sukkah unless it is a permanent structure which stands year-long.  

When moving into a residence that will be occupied for more than 30 days (i.e. renting, leasing, or buying a house etc), the time for putting up the mezuzah will depend on where you live: outside of Israel, one does not affix mezuzahs until day 301. In Israel, the mezuzah is affixed immediately.2

• 1. Chabad custom in the Diaspora is to affix the mezuzot immediately, but without a blessing. On the thirtieth day, one mezuzah is removed in order to be checked, but then the homeowner 'decides' to exchange it for a higher-quality mezuzah, at which point he affixes it with a blessing and while reciting the blessing has in mind all the other mezuzot in the home, too. (See Sefer Haminhagim p. 81 and Shaarei Halacha Uminhag, Vol. 2, p. 319).
  • 2. Shulchan Aruch Yoreh Deah 286:22

Mezuzahs and permanence

Posted by: Miriam, Toronto, Ontario, Canada on Dec 08, 2005

What about a dorm room? id live there all year but... is there a halachic idea behind it?

If you're there longer than thirty days you must affix a mezuzah.
Sukkah
The temporary structure in which we are required to dwell for the duration of the holiday of Sukkot. The Sukkah must have at least three walls and its roof consists of unsecured branches, twigs or wooden slats.
Mezuzah
A rolled up scroll containing certain verses from the Torah which is affixed to the right-hand doorpost of doorways in a Jewish home.
Mezuzahs
Plural form of Mezuzah. Rolled up scrolls containing certain verses from the Torah which are affixed to the right-hand doorposts of doorways in Jewish homes.