What is a shul?

I just got my mezuzah checked. Do I need to recite the blessing when I re-hang it?

by Rabbi Yosef Resnick

Library » Mitzvot » Mezuzah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

First of all, yasher koach – good work – on having your Mezuzahs checked! Many people do not realize the importance of checking their mezuzahs.

The short answer to your question is—maybe! I will try to help you sort out what is required in your particular situation.

If the Mezuzah you took down was found to be not Kosher, and you are putting up a new one in its place, you should certainly recite a blessing. If you took the mezuzah down in order to have it checked, and your intention was to put it back up right away, and you did, then it is questionable whether you should make a blessing when you put it back up.

Yasher koach on having your mezuzahs checked! Many people do not realize the importance of checking their mezuzahs!
According to another opinion, if you put the mezuzah back up the same day as you took it down, you don’t need to make another blessing, but if it is after one day has passed, you should.

So what should you do in such an instance? Either you can ask your personal rabbi for a ruling, or in case of doubt it is better to “play it safe” and abstain from reciting the blessing.1

• 1. Sources: Sefer Otzar Sefer Torah, Tefillin and Mezuzahs, by Rabbi Yisrael Asher Krauz. Yerushalayim, 1983.

Mitzvot » Blessings

Mezuzah
A rolled up scroll containing certain verses from the Torah which is affixed to the right-hand doorpost of doorways in a Jewish home.
Mezuzahs
Plural form of Mezuzah. Rolled up scrolls containing certain verses from the Torah which are affixed to the right-hand doorposts of doorways in Jewish homes.