Is drinking water Kosher?

Must a mezuzah be nailed or screwed into the doorpost?

Library » Mitzvot » Mezuzah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Jacobson: Welcome to askmoses. How can I be of help today?

Robbie: Must a muzuzah be nailed or screwed into the doorpost?

Rabbi Jacobson: anyway that it holds

Rabbi Jacobson: with a nail, a screw, or tape, glue

Robbie: great, thanks. i was just curious because university housing wont let me screw it into the wall

Robbie: that helps out a lot

Robbie: thank you

Rabbi Jacobson: u can try 2 way tape too

Robbie: the director of university housing is coming to supervise me putting up the Mezuzah, so we'll see what happens

Robbie: apparantly im the first person in my dorm to ask to put up a mezuzah

Rabbi Jacobson: good

Rabbi Jacobson: it's a Kiddush Hashem [Ed. note: Sanctification of G-d's name]

Robbie: haha...thank you

Robbie: they've all been really nice, but its just all new to them

Robbie: anyway, thank you for your help

Rabbi Jacobson: no problem. Have a fabulous day. G-d bless you

Robbie: you too

[Ed. note: There are Halachic authorities who maintain that it is preferable to actually nail (or screw) the mezuzah into the doorpost, thus making it a permanent fixture of the home. If possible, that is the ideal way to affix the mezuzah.]

Halachic
Pertaining to Jewish Law.
Mezuzah
A rolled up scroll containing certain verses from the Torah which is affixed to the right-hand doorpost of doorways in a Jewish home.
Kiddush
Prayer recited at the beginning of the Sabbath or Holiday meal--both the evening and afternoon meals. This prayer, acknowledging the sanctity of the day, is recited over a cup of wine or grape juice.
Hashem
"The Name." Out of respect, we do not explicitly mention G-d's name, unless in the course of prayer. Instead, "Hashem" is substituted.