Can I give anything (like clothes or CDs) for Mishloach Manot?

On which days of the year are Tefillin not worn?

by Rabbi Simcha Bart

Library » Mitzvot » Tefillin | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Tefillin are not worn on Shabbat and the major holidays when work is not done. They are:1

• Rosh Hashanah
• Yom Kippur
• Sukkot
• Shmini Atzeret/Simchat Torah
• Passover (first and last days)
• Shavuot

Tefillin are worn only on Tishah B'Av afternoon, and not in the morning. Please read "Why aren't tefillin worn Tishah b'Av in the morning?".

As far as Chol Hamoed is concerned, please see "Are Tefillin worn during Chol Hamoed?".

• 1. For the corresponding secular dates of these holidays, see "How can I find dates of upcoming Jewish holidays?" (http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/283,201/How-can-I-find-dates-of-upcoming-Jewish-holidays.html).

Life Cycle » Bar/Bat Mitzvah » Tefillin
Holidays » General Information » Holiday Information

Passover
A Biblically mandated early-spring festival celebrating the Jewish exodus from Egypt in the year 1312 BCE.
Rosh Hashanah
The Jewish New Year. An early autumn two day holiday marking the creation of Adam and Eve. On this day we hear the blasts of the ram's horn and accept G-d's sovereignty upon ourselves and the world. On Rosh Hashanah we pray that G-d should grant us all a sweet New Year.
Sukkot
A seven day autumn festival commemorating the miracle of the Heavenly Clouds which enveloped the Jews while traveling in the desert for forty years. On this holiday we dwell in makeshift booths and shake the Four Species.
Tefillin
Black leather boxes containing small scrolls with passages of the Bible written on them. Every day, aside for Sabbath and Jewish holidays, the adult Jewish male is required to wrap the Tefillin--by means of black leather straps--around the weaker arm and atop the forehead.
Yom Kippur
Day of Atonement. This late-autumn high-holiday is the holiest day of the year. We devote this day to repentance and all healthy adults are required to fast.
Chol Hamoed
(lit. "mundane [days] of the festival"), the intermediate days of the Festivals of Passover and Sukkot. On these days many of the holiday work restrictions are lifted.
Shavuot
Early summer festival marking the day when the Jews received the Torah at Mount Sinai in the year 2448 (1312 BCE).
Shmini Atzeret
A joyous one-day autumn festival immediately following the holiday of Sukkot. Outside Israel this holiday is celebrated for two days, the second day is known as Simchat Torah.
Av
The fifth month of the Jewish calendar, normally corresponding to July-August. The saddest month of the year due to the destruction of the Temples, and the many other tragedies which befell the Jews in this month.