Why do we give away food on Purim?

Why Can't I put on Tefillin at night?

by Rabbi Simcha Bart

Library » Mitzvot » Tefillin | Subscribe | What is RSS?

From a biblical perspective the Mitzvah of Tefillin applies to night and day equally. The sages, however, prohibited the wearing of Tefillin at night, fearing that one might fall asleep while wearing them and would not be able to treat the Tefillin with proper respect.1

• 1. Shulchan Aruch Orach Chaim 30:2.

Life Cycle » Bar/Bat Mitzvah » Tefillin

Tefillin
Black leather boxes containing small scrolls with passages of the Bible written on them. Every day, aside for Sabbath and Jewish holidays, the adult Jewish male is required to wrap the Tefillin--by means of black leather straps--around the weaker arm and atop the forehead.