Is it true that the Messiah will be born (or was born) on Tishah b'Av?

Does an infant need to wait between eating meat and dairy?

Library » Mitzvot » Education | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...

Bridget: hello

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: hi, how can i help you?

Bridget: i have a son who is 7 months old and wanted to find out if i give him chicken soup can i give him his milk formula right away afterards or is there some time to wait?

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: as long as his mouth is clean from chicken soup residue, you can feed him dairy

Bridget: and until what age can this be done?

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: as long as he is a toddler and has no understanding of these issues

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: it isn't an exact age, every child is different

Bridget: i agree with you but i was just wondering dont they also have also have a soul that is affected by the negativity of that act regardless if they understand it or not.

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: that is only with regards to actual non Kosher food

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: this is two foods, both of which are kosher

Bridget: yes but when mixed become unkosher in a way

Bridget: for example a cheese burger of both kosher cheese and kosher meat its still not kosher

Bridget: even though the 2 items initially by themselves are kosher

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: but the child is NOT eating them together, we are just waiving the wait time requirement

Bridget: that is a good point

Bridget: You just made it clear to me....makes sense.

Bridget: thanks

Rabbi Naftali Silberberg: i'm glad

I thought it was ok for many more reasons than thoes mentioned

Posted by: Anonymous on Jun 28, 2006

First of all I thought a cheese burger was biblically kosher as long as the cheese wasn’t cooked with the meat. Secondly if you are waiving the rabbinic rules for a toddler then eating fowl such as chicken would not make a difference because that is also a rabbinic rule. Thirdly I thought that children that aren’t at the age to have a bar-mitzvah yet aren’t responsible to do any of the commandments and the obligation for them would be just to learn what the commandments.

Lastly I would like to know if anyone has to wait at all after eating just plain chicken broth without any meat. I think that if someone eats a pareve item became fleshic then he wouldn’t have to wait at all. So I think that the water has become fleshic when it was turned into broth. But it could be more than that because when something is boiled its essence transfers over, that is why if I boiled an orange I would say the same blessing over the water as I would over the orange.

1) Where in the article is it suggested that a parent may feed a child food which is rabbinically forbidden? 2) The child isn't obligated -- but the parents are obligated to educate him/her in the observance of mitzvot. And it is certainly forbidden to feed a Jewish child non kosher food. 3) Eating chicken broth renders one 100% "fleishig," and requires one to wait six hours before eating dairy. 4) The blessing recited over water in which an orange was cooked, and even pure orange juice itself, is NOT have the same as the blessing recited on an orange. A Ha'etz is recited on the fruit and a Shehakol is recited on the juice.

Mitzvot » Kosher » Meat and Dairy
Torah » Education