How do you respond to "Shalom Aleichem"?

How important is Jewish education?

by Rabbi Mendy Hecht

Library » Mitzvot » Education | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Jewish education raises Jewish children who know who and what they are, so that when they become adults, they are proud, knowledgeable Jews who then raise their own children to know who and what they are… It’s a cycle that repeats itself every generation. Jewish education is the secret of Jewish survival. How do I get/give my kids a Jewish education?

1. Save time and invest wisely

Since you probably work and don’t have time to teach your kids yourself, send them to a private school that’ll do the work for you. These places are commonly known as “Jewish Day Schools” or "Hebrew Academies." Of course they teach secular subjects too, meet rigorous government standards, and routinely trounce public education in statistic after statistic, so it’s worth the cost. (Sorry, Uncle Sam.) As a matter of fact, it’s an investment in your child’s future—she’ll grow up insulated from the jungle of urban life: drugs, prurience, violence, and will blossom into an adult with something everyone wants—values. Give him or her the right education—a Jewish one.

Jewish education is not a spectator sport
2. Go to the source

Many Chabad centers have (or can recommend) a Jewish day school or what is called a "Hebrew school" for youth who for whatever reason cannot make it to a full time Jewish day school. Hebrew schools meet twice or once a week on Sundays and after school hours. Contact your nearest Chabad center for more information.

3. Get involved

Jewish education is not a spectator sport. Whether it’s something you or your child brings home, make it real. Discuss it. Debate it. Don’t leave it on the shelves of your mind to gather dust. Ask a question, and get an answer… which leads to more questions and answers, a process of growth and discovery for the whole family. Like someone once said, “the home is a classroom,” and Jewish education is designed for just that—it penetrates your lifestyle. Once you get into it, you’ll wonder how you ever did without it.

Torah » Education