When do I pray Shacharit?

Tzfat on Target

by Mrs. Dinka Kumer

Library » Israel » Arab Conflict | Subscribe | What is RSS?

In my first three decades, I never heard a real explosion up close...or lived in a war zone. That was until last Thursday, July 13, 2006.

Bombing was faint as I made my way to work after running errands. The Hezbollah was busy – again – attacking northern border towns. It was “old news” and sadly did little to faze most. Surprisingly, smoke from missile fire rising off nearby Mt. Meron raised little alarm.

Around 2 p.m., my co-Tzfatians and I were shocked to discover that our small town of 20,000 was next on the terrorist target list. Two distinct booms were followed by an even louder whoosh and explosion from extremely close proximity. Shaking in fear, I tried to find my bearings, unsure what to do next.

My employer got a call that a rocket landed adjacent to his house and the area was up in flames. He dashed out in a panic to go save his family (they are all safe and well, thank G-d).

Pandemonium followed as people tried to call their families, find out where the bombs struck, and make their anxious way home. Within moments the offices cleared out, everyone in a frightened daze.

The slightest "bump" makes them jump in fear thinking it?s another "boom"; and my not-yet-three year old made up a "happy" tune called, "We don't have a bomb"!
I do not own a car, and all bus and taxi services had frozen in the ensuing mayhem, but I had to get home. I began walking and saw windows shattered from the blast, and pieces of asphalt strewn around, having flown tens of feet from the blast’s impact. Cops (and the omni-present media) were everywhere. Thanks to the kindness of two strangers, I hitched my way to find my husband and children and a few dozen neighbors huddled in the bomb shelter in the basement of my apartment building.

This was but the dramatic beginning of several days of bombing—which has still yet to end. I have not kept count of all the bombs I have heard fall. It’s in the several hundreds. Though most are distant, three exploded within a two minute walk from my house.

They shook my home, rattled the windows, and sent my family frantically running time and again to the “safe room” we set up in a kids’ bedroom. We all sleep wall-to-wall in that same room since the war’s start, so the children won’t be afraid, and so we will be together “just in case.”

So my innocence of explosion-less three decades has been lost to my children, the oldest of whom is still only six and a half. The slightest “bump” makes them jump in fear thinking it’s another “boom”; and my not-yet-three year old made up a “happy” tune called, “We don't have a bomb…”.

A block away from my home, my day-care babysitter’s apartment complex was bombed and caught fire. She spent her day in my house while the fire was extinguished and the bomb was defused. It took hours since the missile was composed of fifty mini-bombs each meant to maximize the destruction (and they miraculously did not go off!). My sitter distracted herself from the trauma by playing with my bored children who have cabin fever after days of being cooped up at home.

Enlightening

Posted by: Kimberly Racine, Hartford, CT on Jul 24, 2006

To hear a report from someone who actually witnessed the terror raining from the sky is indeed enlightening.

I have no acquaintences in Israel and this "front-line" report has really given me a new insight into the gravity of the situation in the Middle East.

Thank you.

Strength of the Spirit

Posted by: Peter Sorensen, Copenhagen, Denmark on Jul 24, 2006

I read this article with tears in my eyes. Living in the safe confines of Denmark it is hard for me to understand or truly comprehend how difficult it must be for the people of Israel.

After all the horrors you went through at the hands of the Europeans (we are all guilty) and now this?

How cruel and unfair for the world to stand-by while all this takes place and not only don't they support or send help to Israel but they condemn her! Hypocrisy at the highest level!

I just want the people of Israel to know that they have many friends who stand firmly with her while she fights for her very survival.

Long Live Israel!!!

Our thoughts and prayers are with every on of you in the homeland

Posted by: Melanie, Needham, MA, USA on Jul 26, 2006

Please know that our deepest thoughts and prayers are with you in the Homeland as Israel fights to protect herself. We may be miles away by physical distance, but right by your side in heart.

Unconditional Love

Posted by: x ben x` on Jul 27, 2006

It is amazing that so many astounding miracles have occured during this war. A group of volunteers were helping to distribute things in a busy shopping center, when they looked up to see a missle heading right towards them! Thank G-d, it was a dud. Whats even more amazing was that in the next few minutes, at least four more missles landed in that same shopping center, and not a single one of them exploded!

I fully agree that the only way to remedy the current conflict in Israel is with unconditional love towards everyone, whether they are our immediate neighbors or not. When we hate people, even terrorists, we are empowering them to perform actions of terror. It is such a simple concept, unconditional love, and yet almost impossible to implement.

To all of you, I request that you make an extra effort to show human dignity to people, whether it be not yelling at the guy who cuts you off in traffic, being sensitive to peoples needs, or anything else.

Miracles and Wonders

amazing

Posted by: Anonymous on Jul 28, 2006

this article was incredible, bringing tears to my eyes. our thoughts and prayers are with you and the many other israelis suffering right now. may we all meet in yerushalayim soon with the coming of moshiach amein.
Tefillin
Black leather boxes containing small scrolls with passages of the Bible written on them. Every day, aside for Sabbath and Jewish holidays, the adult Jewish male is required to wrap the Tefillin--by means of black leather straps--around the weaker arm and atop the forehead.
Lubavitcher
One who follows the teachings of the Chassidic group which was formerly based in the Belarus village of Lubavitch. Today, the movement is based in Brooklyn, New York with branches worldwide. The Lubavitch movement is also widely known as "Chabad."
Av
The fifth month of the Jewish calendar, normally corresponding to July-August. The saddest month of the year due to the destruction of the Temples, and the many other tragedies which befell the Jews in this month.
Jerusalem
Established by King David to be the eternal capital of Israel. Both Temples were built there, and the third Temple will be situated there when the Messiah comes.