I'm getting an aliyah--can you tell me everything about it?

Middle East Conflict: The Bright Side

by Rabbi Eliezer Shemtov

Library » Israel » Arab Conflict | Subscribe | What is RSS?

I have a debt that I feel has come due.

It was in 1993, a few days before Rosh Hashanah, when the entire world was shaken up by the unexpected handshake between Itzchak Rabin and Arafat in the presence of President Clinton, after having signed the Oslo Agreement. 

"Peace had finally arrived..."

At one of the many institutional Lechayim's that are the norm in our very close knit community, all the speakers spoke about the historical times we were living in.

I, too, was invited to say a few words and found myself in a dilemma. I was convinced that the scene in the Rose Garden did not represent anything durable; that it was nothing more than a mirage.

That instead of speaking about a "historical" day I should be talking about a "hysterical" day... But, was that my job? I wondered. Was it my responsibility to express an opinion that flew in the face of all those present?

The others started weeping; Rabbi Akiva laughed
I opted for diplomacy, referring to the "historical" day, thinking to myself that indeed it was a historical day, because the results would eventually – unfortunately - prove the Rebbe right; that peace cannot be achieved through negotiating with terrorists territorial concessions that compromise Israel’s ability to defend itself.

What is happening right now in Israel proves once again how right the Rebbe's words are regarding the security situation in Israel, the stand it should take vis-a-vis its enemies and the special protection that G-d affords the Jews living in the Holy Land.

Why did it occur to me to pay this 'debt' up now and clarify the true intentions that I had when I diplomatically described the day as 'historical' rather than 'hysterical'?

Let me answer with a story.

The Talmud1 tells us:

Again it happened that Rabban Gamliel, Rabbi Elazar ben Azaria, Rabbi Joshua and Rabbi Akiva went up to Jerusalem. When they reached Mt. Scopus, they tore their garments. When they reached the Temple Mount, they saw a fox emerging from the place of the Holy of Holies.

The others started weeping; Rabbi Akiva laughed.

Said they to him: "Why are you laughing?"

Said he to them: "Why are you weeping?"

Said they to him: "A place [so holy] that it is said of it, 'the stranger that approaches it shall die,'2 and now foxes traverse it, and we shouldn't weep?"

• 1. Makot, 24b.
  • 2. Numbers 1:51.

Moshiach
The Messiah. Moshiach is the person who will usher in an era of peace and tranquility for all of humanity when there will be no jealousy or hate, wars or famine. This is a fundamental Jewish belief.
Rosh Hashanah
The Jewish New Year. An early autumn two day holiday marking the creation of Adam and Eve. On this day we hear the blasts of the ram's horn and accept G-d's sovereignty upon ourselves and the world. On Rosh Hashanah we pray that G-d should grant us all a sweet New Year.
Jerusalem
Established by King David to be the eternal capital of Israel. Both Temples were built there, and the third Temple will be situated there when the Messiah comes.