I live in a cottage owned by a non-Jew. Do I affix a Mezuzah?

What can I do to help our Israeli brethren in their difficult situation?

Library » Israel » Arab Conflict | Subscribe | What is RSS?

"If you shall follow in My statutes... I shall set peace upon the land" 1

1. G-d, who neither sleeps nor slumbers, is the true guardian of Israel.2 The fulfillment of his Torah and Mitzvot brings true protection to our land and our People. Do an extra Mitzvah and study some Torah in honor of our brethren in Israel.

2. The Torah3 says "The voice is the voice of Jacob, and the hands are the hands of Esau". The Midrash4 comments "When the voice of Jacob is heard in prayer the hands of Esau lose their power". Reading the Book of Psalms is very effective at evoking Divine mercy. There are also selected Psalms which are specifically said during tumultuous times: Psalm 6, 20, 22, 23, 69, 142. Click here for an online version of the Psalms in Hebrew and English.

3. Charity is a great Mitzvah which "saves from death"5 and "brings redemption"6. Furthermore, the citizens of Israel need our financial support as well as our prayers. The economy in Israel relies heavily on tourism; so one of the best -- and very enjoyable -- ways to support the Land of Israel is by visiting and encouraging your friends to go and visit. Israel is a safe place, where people live normal free lives; don't allow the TV images to fool you.

Click here to support Torah study in Israel. Click here to support social/charitable needs in Israel.

4. Israel gets a bad rap in the world, and it needs our moral support. Send your children to learn there. Go there even, and especially, when others don't want to go. Israel is "a land G-d, your L-rd, looks after. The eyes of G-d, your L-rd, are constantly upon it from beginning of the year until the end of the year".7 Show your support by showing up.

• 1. Leviticus 26:3
  • 2. Psalms 121:4
  • 3. Genesis 27:22
  • 4. Midrash Bereishit Raba 65:20
  • 5. Talmud tractate Shabbat 156b
  • 6. Talmud tractate Baba Basra 10a
  • 7. Deuteronomy 11:12

how can i help my brothers

Posted by: Lorie Titus, West Plains, MO on Jan 27, 2006

i would love to donate to israel i have been for two years through 700 club what other charities are there?

There are many worthy charities out there. For one that assists terror victims, see http://www.askmoses.com/qa_detail.html?h=161&o=18772.
Mitzvot
Plural form of Mitzvah. Commandments of G-d. Mitzvah also means a connection, for a Jew connects with G–d through fulfilling His commandments.
Midrash
(Pl. Midrashim). Non-legal material of anecdotal or allegorical nature, designed either to clarify historical material, or to teach a moral point. The Midrashim were compiled by the sages who authored the Mishna and Talmud (200 BCE-500 CE).
Jacob
Third of the three Patriarchs and father of the Twelve Tribes. Lived most his life in Canaan and died in Egypt in 1505 BCE. Also known by the name of "Israel."
Esau
Rogue son of Patriarch Isaac and Matriarch Rebecca. Elder twin of Patriarch Jacob.
Psalms
The Book of Psalms. One of the 24 books of the Bible. Compiled by King David; mostly comprised of poetic praise for G-d. A large part of our prayers are culled from this book.