Rabbi, what does Judaism give you personally?

How do I explain death and afterlife to my ten year old son?

Library » Torah » Education | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Death can be explained as being similar to a promotion or new placement.

Many times a working person is moved by his employer to a new office, or even a new city, to take on a new job position.

Life in this world is one type of job for our employer—G-d. The job of the soul within a physical body is to together make this world a better place.

While the soul is no longer in “our office”—the world as we know it, it is still very much alive and employed by the same boss—G-d
But there is other life outside of this type of job with which we are familiar. Upon death, the soul goes on to experience another type of life G-d has in store for it. So while the soul is no longer in “our office”—the world as we know it, it is still very much alive and employed by the same boss—G-d.

Mitzvot » Education
Life Cycle » Death » Passing On