What is Peah?

I'm a former Yeshivah student on campus. What should I be learning?

by Rabbi Tzvi Freeman

Library » Torah » Education | Subscribe | What is RSS?

You don't tell me which campus you're on, or what you're taking or why--that makes it hard to give advice. So I can only be very general.

You need to have a regular Seder of learning. That has to be balanced between "b'makom shelebo chafets" (learning those things of special interest to you) and those certain things that are basic necessities.

Here are the necessities:

1. Chumash with Rashi, every day according to the sedrah

2. Tanya, not just the daily shiur, but also some in depth, in a way that you apply it to your own personal life.

3. Halachah, meaning reviewing and knowing very clearly all those things that apply to practical life, as well as understanding how the halachah works.

4. Along the same lines, it is imperative to understand the words of Tefillah.

5. It's also a good idea to familiarize yourself with the stories of the chochomim and the Chassidim.

As I said, this has to be a regular seder. You fix a time and a place, and search like crazy for a chavrusa. If you really and truly can't get a chavrusa, you use a pen to write to yourself, either in a notebook or in the margins of the book you are learning out of. But the only way to real growth is from a regular avodah.

All that I have said above is based on letters I have read from the Rebbe to people in positions similar to yours.

Mitzvot » Education

Halachah
Jewish Law. All halachah which is applicable today is found in the Code of Jewish Law.
Rashi
Acronym for Rabbi Shlomo Yitzchaki (1040-1105). Legendary French scholar who authored the fundemental and widely accepted "Rashi commentary" on the entire Bible and Talmud.
Chassidim
(Pl.: Chassidim; Adj.: Chassidic) Following the teachings of Rabbi Israel Baal Shem Tov (1698-1760), the founder of "Chassidut." Chassidut emphasizes serving G-d with sincerity and joy, and the importance of connecting to a Rebbe (saintly mentor).
Tanya
Foundation text of Chabad chassidism. Authored by Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi, founder of the Chabad movement, and first published in 1796. Considered to be the "Bible" of Chassidism.
Seder
Festive meal eaten on the first two nights of the holiday of Passover (In Israel, the Seder is observed only the first night of the holiday). Seder highlights include: reading the story of the Exodus, eating Matzah and bitter herbs, and drinking four cups of wine.
Tefillah
Prayer. The Jewish Sages instituted three daily prayers, and an additional prayer on the Sabbath and Jewish holidays.
Chumash
The Five Books of Moses.