Does Judaism have an opinion on bugs?

How has the Jewish nation outlived all its oppressors?

by Rabbi Mendy Hecht

Library » Jewish Identity » Who/What is a Jew? | Subscribe | What is RSS?

A. We don’t need no education—which means to say we do need education. And when it comes to Jewish survival, lots of it. Jewish education is Secret #1 of Jewish survival.

B. It’s the 21st Century—do you know who you are? An unshakeable, active Jewish identity is Secret #2. No matter where the Jew has been, no matter which country/culture he found himself in, Jewish identity as defined by Torah and mitzvahs was the Jew’s answer to the melting pot. Jewish identity is the single largest component of Jewish education; the two go hand in hand.

C. The G-d Factor—Despite the above, the survival of the Jewish people defies rational explanation. How indeed did the Jews survive every single attempt to wipe them out? An historical comparison between Jews and other persecuted groups shows a virtually complete eradication of the latter and the survival of the former under similar conditions—there is no branch of science that can explain why the Jews are still here. The truest reason is because G-d bends the laws of demographics so that His Chosen People are as numerous as “…the stars of the sky and the sand on the seashore…” (Genesis 53:17). Now the question is not “What is the secret of Jewish survival?” but “Why has G-d guaranteed Jewish survival?” This is because Jewish people have a G-d-given mission, and the Jewish mission cannot be completed if the Jewish people are gone.

TAGS: survival

Very happy to see this!

Posted by: Ariel, Arlington, VA on Oct 02, 2005

I'm very happy to see this article about the survival of the Jewish people. As someone who is actively engaged on re-claiming and improving my Jewish practices and observances (more and more every year), it brings me great joy to read of the "secret of our survival."

I have always felt that Jews have a unique role to play on this Earth, as do all the other nations repectively in their own rights. As an American there is often an unspoken, but strongly enforced pressure to be "just like everyone else" -- and this has always rung false with me: this conformation to an internal emptiness poorly filled by consumerism and self-definition based on occupation... I've said enough.

And it seems that these days, as in past times, our enemies are attacking our right to exist on all fronts: the unreasoning Muslims who seek the complete detruction of Israel, and the "well-intentioned" liberals who would have us give up the tradition and culture of our people. I for one, will hold fast.

jewish survival/identity in 21st century

Posted by: Erik Watropski, Los Angeles, Ca, USA on Oct 09, 2005

"B. It’s the 21st Century—do you know who you are? An unshakeable, active Jewish identity is Secret #2. No matter where the Jew has been, no matter which country/culture he found himself in, Jewish identity as defined by Torah and mitzvot was the Jew’s answer to the melting pot"

^^^ Being Jewish of Polish descent and born and raised in the US I feel that identity is difinatley the key to the jewish nation. It took me many years of reading and studying within myself to realize how important the bloodline i carry is. Being Jewish is a honor/gift and should be nurtured and taught/explained to all Jewish youth in the US and other nations to keep the Jewish nation (worldwide) strong and in touch with our heritage and strong/deep roots.

Thank You,
Genesis
The first book of the Five Books of Moses. It records the story of Creation and its aftermath, and chronicles the lives of the Patriarchs.