I'm in love with a non-Jewish guy - is conversion an option?

I just found out that I am not Jewish, should I stop living as a Jew?

Library » Jewish Identity » Who/What is a Jew? | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Jon: i just found out that i am not jewish. i was raised in a jewish home but, apparently, my parents adopted me when i was 8 months old and never converted me

Jon: i now live as a jew and don't know what to do

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: and how old are you now

Jon: 24

Jon: should i stop living as a jew or what?

Jon: should i go to a Beit Din [Ed. note: Rabbinical court]?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: it is your choice - you need to think about it and decide what you want to do. You have no obligation to live as a Jew since you are not Jewish. However if you find that you want to live as a Jew than you should convert within the standards of Jewish law and be a Jew

Jon: of course i want to live as a Jew!

Jon: i am studying now for smicha [rabbinical ordination]!

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: then no worries my friend.

Jon: nobody knows my secret. i only found out last year

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: so where are you studying

Jon: I don't want to say

Jon: It is a yeshivah

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: ok - that is all I need to know ( i don't need to know which one)

Jon: i am afraid to tell anyone

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: is there anyone there you feel comfortable with to talk to about this

Jon: not really, nobody knows and i have hid it for almost a year

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: here is the deal:

Jon: yes?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: it is no big DEAL

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: if you are sure you want to be Jewish, you simply will go thorugh a quick conversion process and you will be as jewish as Moses

Jon: I know, I know. but then i have to tell someone

Jon: i am hoping that perhaps i could do this outside of my community

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: ok, that is an option as well

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: however you will need to have one rabbi in the community to vouch for you to the new beit din

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: if you just walk up to a beit din and say you want to convert they might give you a hard time, and it will take a long time

Jon: so i have to tell someone

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: if you want to go quick an d easy it would help if you told someone, someone you can trust!

Jon: good point

Jon: ok, well talking to you made me feel a bit better.

Jon: thank you

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: sure... all the best

Ed. note: Also read "Why should I choose an Orthodox conversion?"

Jewish Identity » Conversion

Beit Din
(Lit. House of Law). Rabbinical court.