Do I have to say a blessing if I taste a dish to see if it needs more salt?

Is there an obligation to circumcise the child of a Gentile mother and Jewish father?

by

www.circumcision.net

Library » Jewish Identity » Who/What is a Jew? | Subscribe | What is RSS?

A Jew is obligated to circumcise his Jewish child. However, Jewish law states1 that Judaism follows the mother and if the mother is non-Jewish then unless there was a proper conversion (for the mother) the newborn child is not Jewish and does not require circumcision.

Reprinted with permission from www.circumcision.net.

• 1. See Deuteronomy 7:3-4 and Rashi there. See Jerusalem Talmud tractate Yevamot 13a, and Babylonian Talmud tractate Yevamot 23a. See also "What is the Torah source for matrilineal descent?" (http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/180,2133686/What-is-the-Torah-source-for-matrilineal-descent.html).

Life Cycle » Circumcision
Jewish Identity » Conversion
Mitzvot » Circumcision
Jewish Identity » Non-Jews » Intermarriage
Life Cycle » Marriage » Intermarriage
Life Cycle » Circumcision » The Brit