Is there any significance to the four species, besides the unity thing?

Am I less of a Jew if I was never Bar Mitzvah'd?

by Rabbi Yossi Marcus

Library » Jewish Identity » Who/What is a Jew? | Subscribe | What is RSS?

You’re as Jewish as Moses.

The Bar/Bat Mitzvah ceremony is a celebration of something that happens to you at age 12/13: you become an adult. The celebration does not make it happen. It happens; so we celebrate. But if it was not celebrated for whatever reason, that does not mean that it didn’t happen.

You are a Jew because you were born a Jew. The idea that being Bar/Bat Mitzvahed somehow makes you a Jew is a big mistake and I think some people have this notion from other religions.

That’s number one. Number two, it's never too late to celebrate. If you didn't do so already, you can do a “Bar/Bat Mitzvah” ceremony/celebration at any age.

See also "What is Bar/Bat Mitvah?"

Life Cycle » Bar/Bat Mitzvah » Age of Responsibility

Bat Mitzvah
The twelvth birthday of a Jewish female. On this day -- customarily celebrated with a lavish party -- the adolescent reaches adulthood and is responsible to observe all the commandments of the Torah.