How do you explain a tragedy?

What are the different kinds of Jews?

by Rabbi Tzvi Freeman

Library » Jewish Identity » Jewish "Labels" » Orthodox | Subscribe | What is RSS?

There are three types of Jews:

1. Those who do mitzvahs.

2. Those who do more mitzvahs.

3. Those who do even more mitzvahs.

...But I've yet to meet the Jew who doesn't do any mitzvahs. They can't help it even if they tried.

As for the labels of orthodox, conservative, reform, reconstructionist, renewal, Chassidic, ultra-orthodox, etc, etc.--as the Lubavitcher Rebbe once said, "Labels are for shirts, not for people."

types of jews

Posted by: Anonymous on Feb 14, 2006

please state the mitzvot that Jews in category "1" do whether they like it or not...that they can't help themselves from doing. I assume category 1 is: those Jews who are not trying to do mitzvot, and who might actually be trying not to do any.

All Jews are naturally kind, giving and charitable.
Chassidic
(Pl.: Chassidim; Adj.: Chassidic) A follower of the teachings of Rabbi Israel Baal Shem Tov (1698-1760), the founder of "Chassidut." Chassidut emphasizes serving G-d with sincerity and joy, and the importance of connecting to a Rebbe (saintly mentor).
Lubavitcher
One who follows the teachings of the Chassidic group which was formerly based in the Belarus village of Lubavitch. Today, the movement is based in Brooklyn, New York with branches worldwide. The Lubavitch movement is also widely known as "Chabad."