I’ve had an abortion and I’m plagued by strong feelings of guilt. Any advice?

What is the Source For Women and Men to Pray Separately?

Library » Mitzvot » Prayer » Synagogue | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Shlomo: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...what's on your mind?

olive: Where does it say that women must pray seperately from men in the Torah?

Rabbi Shlomo: It doesn't say it anywhere.

Rabbi Shlomo: Do you know why?

olive: why?

Rabbi Shlomo: Because it doesn't say anywhere in the Torah that you have to pray in a synagogue.

Rabbi Shlomo: as a matter of fact, it is not clearly stated that you have to pray at all.

olive: oh, thats a good point. So then where does the idea of men and women being seperate come from?

Rabbi Shlomo: it comes from two places: scripture, and practice. Scripture: The Torah tells us that when the Jews crossed the Sea the men sang praises to G-d with Moses1, and the women sang praises to G-d with Miriam2. Additionally, scripture tells us that the Holy Temple had seperate men's and women's sections

Rabbi Shlomo: Practice: Throughout Jewish history, since its inception, there were always careful seperation between men and women as not to lead to illicit practices.

• 1. Exodus 15:1
  • 2. Exodus 15:20

Mitzvot » Prayer » Laws and Customs

Miriam
Older sister of Moses and Aaron, and a prophetess in her own right.