How are the Jewish fast days observed?

What was the deal with Samson? Prophet or hedonist?

by Rabbi Yossi Marcus

Library » Torah » The Bible » The Prophets | Subscribe | What is RSS?

That sounds like a good title for a book.

The deal with Samson as the Jewish commentators explain is that he was a prophet—not a hedonist. So what about the womenfolk? What about marrying Delilah?

Here’s what the commentators say:

Samson wanted to protect the Jews, who, as always were under attack by their neighbors. But, he wanted his attacks on the enemy to be seen as a personal vendetta. This way, the enemy would retaliate against HIM not the whole Jewish people.

So he sets up this whole elaborate scheme in which HE becomes the enemy—not the Jewish people.

That’s the traditional viewpoint in a nutshell.

TAGS: Samson

Samson & Deliliah

Posted by: Anonymous on Aug 08, 2005

Where can I find the story?

The Book of Judges (http://www.chabad.org/library/archive/LibraryArchive2.asp?AID=15750), chapters 13-16.