How did Noah and Methuselah live for hundreds of years?

How should I respond to claims of the Talmud being racist?

Library » Torah » Mishnah and Talmud | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Shlomo: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...what's on your mind?

mentchie: How should I respond to people who make anti-semitic remarks and bring claims against the Talmud, referring to it as racist?

Rabbi Shlomo: it depends who those people are, who you are, and why you have to respond at all

Rabbi Shlomo: The simplest approach is this:

mentchie: Specifically, non-Jews who truly believe the things that they are saying which portray Judaism and our holy books in a negative light.

Rabbi Shlomo: tell them anyone can find statements in any religion or philosophy and take them out of context or misunderstand them...

Rabbi Shlomo: the way to question the "agenda" or "message" of a religion or a philosophy is to see how the people who adhere MOST to that philosophy live and what they teach their students to do

mentchie: I'm surprised I didn't think of such a simple reply! Thank you!

Rabbi Shlomo: if you look at the people who live must according to the Talmud, religious Jews and rabbis, you will see that they are a very peaceful people. They don't make pogroms. They don't spray paint hate graffiti. They don't go to war over religious issues.

Rabbi Shlomo: (unlike christians of old or muslims, whose religious followers and clergy promote hate, violence and murder againt people of other faiths)

mentchie: Thank you, again. It is a big help to me, as I feel that people who bring these charges against our people view silence as a "proof" that they are correct in their skewed views.

Rabbi Shlomo: good luck

mentchie: Kol Hakavod and Shabbat Shalom (for the coming Shabbat)

Jewish Identity
Jewish Identity » Non-Jews
Jewish Identity » Non-Jews » Other Religions - Missionaries
Jewish Identity » Jewish "Labels"