How do I become a giving person?

What is the Talmud?

by Rabbi Yaakov Latowicz

Library » Torah » Mishnah and Talmud | Subscribe | What is RSS?

summerset: Hi...What is the Talmud? As you can tell, I am not Jewish.

Rabbi Latowicz: Actually, there are many Jews who ask the same question! According to Judaism, the Bible was received from G-d with a commentary... this explanation of the Torah & its laws was preserved orally through the generations. Eventually it was recorded in summary form for the very first time in the 2nd century. This summary (the Mishnah) became a text for study for the Rabbis for Jewish law & tradition.

summerset: What exactly does this commentary cover?

Rabbi Latowicz: All of the 613 Commandments of the Bible, and every narrative. In Babylon this summary was discussed & expanded in the Great academies that flourished there in the 4th & 5th centuries. The record of all these studies is the Talmud.

summerset: Wow... Is this for Jews only, or is there a way that someone like myself would be able to read it?

Rabbi Latowicz: It was intended primarily for the Jews...today it is available in English translation...but it remains a text that must be studied with a teacher...as has been the case for over one thousand years-that is the system of Jewish learning.

summerset: Well, thanks...I greatly appreciate your time and knowledge.

Rabbi Latowicz: My pleasure! Please visit us again.

Mishnah
First written rendition of the Oral Law which G-d spoke to Moses. Rabbi Judah the Prince compiled the Mishna in the 2nd century lest the Oral law be forgotten due to the hardships of the Jewish exiles.