Why do we eat Matzah on Passover?

What is the “mazal” of the soul?

by Rabbi Yossi Marcus

Library » Philosophy » Soul | Subscribe | What is RSS?

The mazal is the part of the soul that does not enter into the human consciousness. It remains above, hovering, aloof. While the lower aspects of the soul become “humanized” (in a bad way) and lose their Divine consciousness, the mazal remain pure and unaffected. The mazal sends subconscious messages to the soul, leading it in the direction of its destiny.

The Talmud cites the incident when Daniel perceived a group of angels who remained invisible to his colleagues, Chananiah, Mishael and Azariah. The latter three, despite their inability to see the angels, were overcome with fear. The Talmud asks: what was the source of this fear if they did not see anything? The Talmud answers that although they did not see it, their “mazal” did see it (Megillah 3a).

The Talmud notes that when a person gets scared for no apparent reason it is because the mazal has seen something frightening that the naked eye does not see. (Similarly, when a person is inspired for no apparent reason, it could be a subliminal message from the mazal.)

Mazol

Posted by: Isaac on Apr 03, 2005

If the soul is infinite, then it exists everywhere and nowhere at the same time. That means that everything essentially has the highest level of soul, that which we call the jewish soul, because there can't be a place without it. The mozol of everything is guiding the rest of the soul and body in the pursuit to return to its true state. So if all of creation is to be elevated to its highest, even though there is no highest because its infinite, then all existence will be elevated to the highest level, all one and concious of HaShem in every way. If everything and nothing and beyond is HaShem, then any thing we choose to analyze will contain all of the rest as well. So everyone is one, why are we all seperated? It appears we just need to teach everyone about HaShem's being so no matter what anyone looks at, they see HaShem.

Mazol

Posted by: kyRee Elain, Perth, Western Australia, Australia on Aug 28, 2005

Couldn't agree more with Issac! When will everone see that we are not separate? We are all one and of the one. I sometimes think that if we weren't here we would have to be invented fo G-d to see the wonder of this creation.

mazal

Posted by: Yitzchok, Johannesberg, South Africa on Dec 07, 2005

that that the mazal "sees". would that explain ones intuition that something bad is gonna happen? if that is so, then why doesnt it work the other way too, that you sense a good thing is happening or about to happen?

I've yet to see in any of the holy books that intuition that something bad will occur stems from the mazal.

to Yitzchok of S.A.

Posted by: B. on Jan 18, 2006

I'm inclined to agree with you; the mazal, being more connected to the spiritual realm, could get a 'heads up' from behind the pargawd on future events. But if you do get a feeling of badness, ignore it. Like we say about prophecy, a good prophecy that comes true is prophecy. a good prophecy that does not come true is not prophecy. a bad prophecy that comes true is prophecy, and a bad prophecy that does not come true is prophecy. Why? because it is possible that, through your actions, the badness has been averted.

Mazal literally means 'constellation' or 'luck', so it implicitly has something to do with your assigned fate, as we know when we say 'Mazal Tov' meaning good fortune.

panic attacks

Posted by: Richard Wind, Fairfax, New Jersey on Jun 29, 2006

I suffer from panic attacks are these attacks because my Mazal sees something that I personally cannot see ...is it not sin to fear and not trust that the Lord is near me to protect me from all evil Proverbs 1:33

If the attacks recur on a regular basis, the condition is probably physiologically based.
Megillah
A scroll. Usually a reference to the Book of Esther, one of the books of the "Written Torah", which is read--from a scroll--on the holiday of Purim.
Daniel
1. A Jerusalemite exiled in Babylon after the destruction of the 1st Temple. He interprets dreams, gives accounts of apocalyptic visions, and is divinely delivered from a den of lions. 2. One of the 24 Books of the Bible, which describes the events of Daniel's life.