Why is Israel called the Holy Land?

Judy: Can one who converted to Judaism become a rabbi?

Library » Jewish Identity » Conversion | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Yrachmiel Tilles: Shalom-Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment. You can start typing your question if you like.

Judy: Can a man who converted to Judaism become a rabbi?

Rabbi Yrachmiel Tilles: Yes.

Rabbi Yrachmiel Tilles: Have you ever read Pirkei Avot?

Judy: No, is that a story?

Rabbi Yrachmiel Tilles: It is a tractate of the Mishnah. It quotes several Rabbis who were considered the leading rabbis of their generation 2000 years ago and they were converts.

Rabbi Yrachmiel Tilles: Today too, I know quite a few convert-rabbis here in Israel.

Judy: Oh, that's interesting.

Judy: I asked a friend and she disagreed with me, so I decided to ask here.

Rabbi Yrachmiel Tilles: :-)

Judy: I thought that a convert could become a rabbi because you're suppose to treat a convert like any other person. So I figured I was right.

Rabbi Yrachmiel Tilles: Good thinking.

Judy: Thank you, rabbi! Have a great day.

Judy: Goodbye :)

Rabbi Yrachmiel Tilles: You too.

Ed. note: Also read "Why should I choose an Orthodox conversion?"

Avot
"Ethics of our Fathers." A tractate of the Mishna (original rendition of the Oral Law) which discusses Jewish ethics and piety.
Mishnah
First written rendition of the Oral Law which G-d spoke to Moses. Rabbi Judah the Prince compiled the Mishna in the 2nd century lest the Oral law be forgotten due to the hardships of the Jewish exiles.