What are the basic halachic requirements for a Shabbat or holiday meal?

I want to convert, but I'm apprehensive about approaching a rabbi...

Library » Jewish Identity » Conversion | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

I spoke to a scholar on AskMoses yesterday. I am a Christian, who for years has felt a pull towards Judaism, without really knowing why. Now I just feel like I’m questioning my faith and I don’t know what to do...its not something that I could discuss at the church I am currently at. The scholar I spoke to wondered if perhaps I had Jewish ancestry, and suggested that I see a rabbi. But I am still unsure… I’m just really nervous to see a rabbi in person. I know I shouldn’t be. It’s just outside of my little “Christian existence.” Are rabbis at all used to discussing these kinds of feelings with a non-Jew?

Also, one more question...lets just “say”  that somehow I had a Jewish soul (and actually I don’t really know what that would even mean), what would this even mean? I relate to Jewish beliefs in a lot of ways, but I was reading all the 613 commandments and felt really overwhelmed...it’s not easy to be Jewish! Anyways...thank you for reading this ramble. I really appreciate the services that are offered at this site. Anyone is made to feel welcome here, and this I appreciate. I would just appreciate some more thoughts. Thank you!

If you do want to accept all the difficulties of Judaism, then you do want to talk to a Rabbi about that... You are not the first, and you won’t be the last, to seek out Judaism
Answer:

Your concerns are valid and quite common.

As with anything else, rabbis too differ from one another. Some orthodox rabbis will be accustomed to talking to people such as you, and some orthodox rabbis deal with a more insular community and have never dealt with anyone outside their “Jewish Existence.” So if you do want to speak to a rabbi I would suggest you look for a rabbi in the former group rather than the latter.

I say “if” you do want to speak to a rabbi because I am not sure regarding what you want to speak to him. Judaism is indeed very overwhelming and difficult and I don’t recommend it to anyone who doesn’t have to follow it. If you are not aware of the Noahide laws you might want to read more about it either on www.asknoah.org or in the book “The Path of the Righteous Gentile.”

If you do want to accept all the difficulties of Judaism, then you do want to talk to a Rabbi about that and you shouldn’t feel intimidated. You are not the first, and you won’t be the last, to seek out Judaism. So do a little reading around on your own, try to figure out in which direction you will be heading, and feel free to ask for guidance from a local rabbi or a scholar on Askmoses.com—we will all be glad to help.

Also read about Why should I choose an Orthodox conversion?

Jewish Identity » Non-Jews » The Role of the Non-Jew