What is the Jewish view on hate?

Why do rabbis make it difficult to convert to Judaism?

by Rabbi Simcha Bart

Library » Jewish Identity » Conversion | Subscribe | What is RSS?

This concept of discouraging the convert can be found in the book of Ruth, when Naomi discouraged her daughters-in-law, Orpoh and Ruth, from joining her and embracing the Jewish faith.

Some of the reasons:

1. Judaism doesn't feel the need to proselytize. G-d is happy the way He created you. A non-Jew need not convert to fulfill G-d's wishes. See Need I convert to Judaism if I share its beliefs?
  2. Life as a practicing Jew is very difficult; there are many commandments (positive and negative) that a Jew must adhere to. Why should a rabbi encourage anyone to enter into such a difficult situation?
  3. By making the process difficult, it weeds out those who wish to convert for ulterior motives (e.g. to be able to marry someone who is Jewish). A Ger Tzedek "Righteous Convert" is someone who does so only for the love of G-d and his Law - the Torah. That is why during certain periods in Jewish history, when Jews were very successful, no converts were accepted because there was a suspicion that they might convert with ulterior motives in mind.

Also read about Why should I choose an Orthodox conversion?

Ruth
1. A Moabite woman who accompanied Naomi, the Jewish mother of her deceased husband, back to Israel. She converted, married, and was the ancestor of King David. 2. One of the 24 books of the Bible, which chronicles the events of Naomi's life.
Ger
A convert to Judaism.