What should I do if I missed the time of morning prayer?

If adopted children convert do they need to convert again as adults?

Library » Jewish Identity » Conversion | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

If my two adopted children (younger than bar/bat Mitzvah age) are circumcised, go in the ocean (our Mikvah) and agree to be Jewish as their conversion, when it comes time for their bar/bat mitzvahs they would not need to do anything further if they agree to continue their lives as Jews?

Answer:

1) Any conversion process must occur under the auspices of a qualified orthodox rabbinical court. The children can’t just go to the ocean and say “we accept Judaism”.

2) Once they go through a proper conversion with a qualified rabbinical court they are considered Jewish. However, there is always more that a Jew must do; s/he never reaches a plateau. So even after they undergo conversion their lives will constantly be filled with the richness of Jewish observances and the responsibility to study more Torah.

[Ed. note: there are instances in which a child can retroactively reject his/her conversion when s/he reaches adulthood - Bat/Bar Mitzvah1. However, this is not a one-size-fits-all law and a qualified Rabbinical court has to determine if and/or when that is possible.]

• 1. Maimonodies Laws of Kings and Wars Chapter 10:4

Mikvah
A ritual bath where one immerses to become spiritually pure. After her menstrual cycle, a woman must immerse in the Mikvah before resuming marital relations.
Bar Mitzvah
The thirteenth birthday of a Jewish male. On this day -- customarily celebrated with a modest party -- the adolescent reaches adulthood and is responsible to observe all the commandments of the Torah.