How do I repent for an accidental sin?

Is there a source in the Torah for the concept of conversion?

Library » Jewish Identity » Conversion | Subscribe | What is RSS?

In Numbers 15:15-16 the Torah says: "One rule applies to the congregation, for yourselves and for the proselyte who resides [with you]; one rule applies throughout your generations just as [it is] for you, so [it is] for the proselyte, before the Lord. There shall be one Torah and one ordinance for you and the proselyte who resides with you."

There is also an entire book in the Torah about (and named after) a convert: Ruth. She is the great grandmother of King David.

The laws of conversion are discussed in the Talmud1 and by Maimonidies.2

See also What is the process of conversion? and Why should I choose an Orthodox conversion?

• 1. See Talmud tractate Krisut 9a and tractate Yevamot pages 46-47.
  • 2. Maimonidies laws of Forbidden Relationships chapter 13

King of Israel who succeeded Saul, becoming king of Israel in 876 BCE. Originally a shepherd, he became popular after he killed the Philistine strongman, Goliath. He is the progenitor of the Davidic royal dynasty -- which will return to the throne with the arrival of King Messiah.
1. A Moabite woman who accompanied Naomi, the Jewish mother of her deceased husband, back to Israel. She converted, married, and was the ancestor of King David. 2. One of the 24 books of the Bible, which chronicles the events of Naomi's life.