Why are all the mirrors covered in a shivah-house?

If a convert is supposed to be Jewish, why wasn't he born Jewish?

by Mrs. Sara Esther Crispe, Baruch Emanuel Erdstein

Library » Jewish Identity » Conversion | Subscribe | What is RSS?

This question is actually a microcosm of the much larger question as to why we were born into the circumstances and challenges that surrounded us.

Similarly we could ask, “If G-d wants me to observe His commandments, why was I born to parents who didn’t care about their Judaism?” The answer is that G-d provides each and every individual with unique circumstances and tests that the person must undergo in order to reveal who he/she truly is and what he/she is capable of.

A convert who was born to a non-Jewish mother but wishes to convert to Judaism has a difficult challenge that must be overcome. It is one thing to choose to return to one’s roots, even if that decision is contrary to how one was raised, but to essentially choose to become part of a people, culture, religion and heritage that is foreign to the one you were born into, is a test and privilege that is rare.

G-d provides each and every individual with unique circumstances and tests that the person must undergo in order to reveal who he/she truly is and what he/she is capable of
We are told that G-d does not give us challenges we are unable to overcome, and this shows us that even if we don’t feel we have the ability within ourselves, if this is our predicament, we ultimately have the ability to face it and surpass it. The Talmud actually refers to the convert as "the convert who converted" rather than "the gentile who converted" or "the person who converted". This implies that even before converting the prospective convert's soul is innately connected to the concept of conversion and Judaism, and that gives him/her the strength to go through with a conversion. 

What is essential is having both the faith within ourselves to pursue what we know to be truth, and when we need help, to trust that even if we can’t make it through on our own, G-d has the ability to carry us through. And as we all know, the harder the challenge, the greater the reward. When we endure and ultimately break through our restrictions to become who we are meant to be, we have a resolve, determination and strength that we never could have achieved had it not been for the challenge that was set before us.

Also read about Why should I choose an Orthodox conversion?