Why is Judaism so difficult?

How do I dispose of my lulav and etrog?

Library » Holidays » Sukkot » Four Species | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Mrs. Rivky Kaplan: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...what's your question?

tennisball: Can I throw away the Lulav and Etrog? Or what can i do with it? Thanks

Mrs. Rivky Kaplan: while it isn't considered a holy object, and must not be treated as such, it still wouldn't be respectful to dispose of it in an undignified manner

Mrs. Rivky Kaplan: after all, it did serve a holy purpose for a few days

tennisball: so what do you recommend i do with them?

Mrs. Rivky Kaplan: you can wrap them in a bag and then throw them in the trashbin, but many people try to make use of them in a productive way

tennisball: okay, i can make the aravot and hadasim spices for Havdalah. etrog* could be cooked. what do i do with the lulav?

Mrs. Rivky Kaplan: many burn the lulav together with the Chametz on Erev Pesach

tennisball: thanks for your time

* Please note that if your Etrog came from Israel and was grown during the Sabbatical year (5768, 2008 was the last Sabbatical  year) it is considered as having extra-special holiness and needs to be treated in a special way. Please ask your local Rabbi or the store where you bought the Etrog what to do with this Etrog.

Chametz
Any leavened product which is produced from wheat, barley, rye, spelt or oats. This includes bread, cake, cereals, crackers, biscuits, yeast, pasta and whisky. It is forbidden for a Jew to possess or consume Chametz throughout Passover.
Etrog
A citron; a greenish-yellow citrus fruit. We are required to take an Etrog on the holiday of Sukkot and shake it together with a palm branch, a myrtle and a willow.
Erev
The day beforehand. For example, "Erev Pesach" means the day before Passover.
Lulav
A palm branch. One of the Four Species we are required to take on the holiday of Sukkot. We shake it together with a citron, myrtle, and willow.
Pesach
Passover. A Biblically mandated early-spring festival celebrating the Jewish exodus from Egypt in the year 1312 BCE.
Havdalah
Prayer signifying the end of the Sabbath or Jewish holiday. This "separation" prayer is recited after nightfall over a cup of wine.