I found a blemish on my egg -- is it Kosher?

I will be away for Passover. Do I still need to sell my chametz to a non-Jew?

Library » Holidays » Passover » Chametz | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Gurkow: Welcome to the Rabbi's one on one chat room, how can I help you today?

Michael: Good afternoon Rabbi. Quick question: I will be away from my home for all of Pesach. Do I still need to sell my Chametz to a non-Jew?

Rabbi Gurkow: Yes, you should sell the entire home. That is to say the all the chametz in your home—the home itself is not sold, just rented to the gentile for the duration of Pesach.

Michael: Okay, I just wasn't sure if I needed to fill out the form for my rabbi or not.

Rabbi Gurkow: Yes you should.

Rabbi Gurkow: On Passover, we are forbidden to have any chametz in our possession. Even if you will be away from home, the chametz still belongs to you.

Michael: Thank you, and have a wonderful Passover, you and your family.

[Ed. note: if you are traveling to a different time zone inform the rabbi who is selling your Chametz, so he can sell it in accordance with the time zone you will be in].

Chametz
Any leavened product which is produced from wheat, barley, rye, spelt or oats. This includes bread, cake, cereals, crackers, biscuits, yeast, pasta and whisky. It is forbidden for a Jew to possess or consume Chametz throughout Passover.
Passover
A Biblically mandated early-spring festival celebrating the Jewish exodus from Egypt in the year 1312 BCE.
Pesach
Passover. A Biblically mandated early-spring festival celebrating the Jewish exodus from Egypt in the year 1312 BCE.