Why did Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai stay in a cave for 13 years?

How and when do I burn my Chametz?

Library » Holidays » Passover » Chametz | Subscribe | What is RSS?

The Chametz is burned on the morning before1 Passover during the fifth Halachic hour of the day (see here for exact times). All chametz which isn't being sold to a non-Jew should be burned until it is inedible even for an animal.

After burning the Chametz we say a second Kol Chamira: "All leaven or anything leavened which is in my possession, whether I have seen it or not, whether I have observed it or not, whether I have removed it or not, shall be considered naught and ownerless as the dust of the earth."

• 1. When Passover begins on Saturday Night we burn the Chametz two days before Passover - on Friday. See "What happens when Passover begins on Saturday night?" (http://www.askmoses.com/article/532,2192630/What-happens-when-Passover-begins-on-Saturday-Night.html)

Chametz
Any leavened product which is produced from wheat, barley, rye, spelt or oats. This includes bread, cake, cereals, crackers, biscuits, yeast, pasta and whisky. It is forbidden for a Jew to possess or consume Chametz throughout Passover.
Passover
A Biblically mandated early-spring festival celebrating the Jewish exodus from Egypt in the year 1312 BCE.