Are Jews a race?

What can I use as a pre-existing flame on a holiday?

Library » Holidays » General Information | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Eliezer G: Welcome to the Rabbi's one on one chat room, how can I help you today?

candlelight: If I need to have a pre-existing flame to light candles for the second day of yontif [Ed. holiday], is it ok to use a yahrtzeit candle? I have never lit one before.

Rabbi Eliezer G: yes - that is ok

candlelight: It feels like it would be a bad omen to light a yahrzeit candle with my parents, thank G-d, alive. Is there an alternative?

Rabbi Eliezer G: if you ahve a gas stove you can light that

Rabbi Eliezer G: certainly if there is a pilot you can use that

candlelight: I think the stove has an electric starter.

Rabbi Eliezer G: then light ayhartzeit candle

Rabbi Eliezer G: and dont worry

Rabbi Eliezer G: it is commonly lit for this purpose

Rabbi Eliezer G: and does not carry any connnoration under the circunmstances

candlelight: OK, thank you. Have a happy and healthy new year

Holidays
Holidays » General Information » Holiday Information
Holidays » General Information » Forbidden Activities
Holidays » General Information » Holiday Candles

yahrtzeit
The (Jewish calendar) anniversary of a person's death.