Why do we light Yahrtzeit candles?

Why do we sing about Elijah after the Havdalah Service?

Library » Shabbat » Havdallah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Wagner: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...

Janet: Why is it customary to sing Eliyahu Ha-Navi1 at the end of a Havdalah Service?

Rabbi Wagner: There are several reasons for this tradition

Rabbi Wagner: one explanation I've always liked is that there is a discussion in the Talmud about whether Eliyahu can come to herald the redemption on Shabbat2

Rabbi Wagner: therefore as soon as Shabbat is over -- and now there are no "problems" with his coming -- we express our yearning for him to arrive

Janet: cool, thanks!

• 1. A hymn about Elijah the Prophet.
  • 2. Traditionally, Elijah will be the one to arrive and announce the arrival of the Messiah.

Philosophy » Messiah
Israel » Messiah

Havdalah
Prayer signifying the end of the Sabbath or Jewish holiday. This "separation" prayer is recited after nightfall over a cup of wine.