Why doesn't a woman wear a tallit?

What is the meaning of the Shalom Aleichem hymn?

Library » Shabbat » Shabbat Meals | Subscribe | What is RSS?

“On Friday Night, a person is escorted home from synagogue by two angels, one good and one evil*. When he comes home and finds the candles burning, the table set, and the beds made, the good angel declares ‘may it be G-d’s will that the next Shabbat be the same,’ and the evil angel reluctantly answers ‘Amen.’ If [the home is] not [prepared for Shabbat], the evil angel proclaims ‘may it be G-d’s will that the next Shabbat be the same,’ and the good angel must answer ‘Amen’” (Talmud, Shabbat 119b).

Before the Friday night meal, we welcome these angels by reciting the Shalom Aleichem (Peace unto you, ministering angels...) hymn.

*An angel, by definition, is a servant of G-d, who carries out his Master’s will. “Evil” angels are thus called because their mission is to punish those who defy G-d’s commandments, but this too is at the Creator’s behest. Perhaps this is why we say “Peace unto you, ministering angels,” including both angels in our warm greeting, for we recognize that even the “evil” angel is merely a servant who is faithfully discharging his duty.

Words

Posted by: Derek Rumpler, Oil City, PA on Apr 20, 2006

I think I've heard this song before. Can someone please post the words?

Sincerely,

It's available at http://www.chabad.org/library/article.asp?AID=258650.