My best friend's wedding will be in a church. What should I do?

What is an appropriate gift for a host at a Shabbat meal?

Library » Shabbat » Shabbat Meals | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Yossi Turk: Bienvenidos Welcome. Un minuto ya lo atiendo. I'll be with you in a moment...

Jake: Shalom!

Jake: what would be an appropriate gift to give for being invited to attend Shabbat

Jake: I've been invited to attend Shabbat dinner at someone's home and wish to bring a gift. Do you have any ideas that would be appropriate?

Rabbi Yossi Turk: are you arriving there on shabbat?

Jake: yes

Rabbi Yossi Turk: than you shouldnt bring anything

Jake: ok, i just am so honored to be invited that I felt led to give something of value

Rabbi Yossi Turk: i understand, but on shabat one shouldnt transport anything or bring anything into the house

Jake: thank you Rabbi Turk for your advice. I can see that if I did on Shabbat, it would not be good!

Jake: Perhaps I'll give them a gift AFTER Shabbat

Rabbi Yossi Turk: ok... that's alright

Rabbi Yossi Turk: maybe a table cloth?

Rabbi Yossi Turk: or a nice flower vase

Rabbi Yossi Turk: or a bowl?

Rabbi Yossi Turk: or tray?

Jake: great! Thank You those are great ideas

Jake: I really appreciate your advice.

Jake: Thanks Again

Rabbi Yossi Turk: no problem

Jake: Shalom Shabbat to you as well tonight!

Rabbi Yossi Turk: thanks

Jake: bye for now

Rabbi Yossi Turk: same

[Ed. note: Also read "What may I bring my host on Shabbat?" ]