Why did the king just go along with Haman’s plot to murder all the Jews?

I am invited to my Jewish friend's Shabbat dinner. What will the meal be like?

Library » Shabbat » Shabbat Meals | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Eliezer G: Welcome to the Rabbi's one on one chat room, how can I help you today?

William: hello. I am not Jewish. I do work with a Jewish guy at the office. I have long been interested in Jewish culture. I have known him for 3 years. He has invited me to come for a Shabbat Dinner at his house tonight. He told me I would enjoy it, but when I offered to bring something, he told me please do not

William: I am really nervous

Rabbi Eliezer G: I understand

Rabbi Eliezer G: its new. its normal to be nervous at something new

William: about what to expect and why I can't bring anything!

William: yes!

William: I just dont want to offend them. And when he said not to bring anything, does that mean just food?

Rabbi Eliezer G: your friend probably keeps Kosher and does not want anything in his house that does not conform with the laws of kosher

William: I dont want to seem rude tonight or anything. Maybe you know what may happen or what I shouldn't say or do?

Rabbi Eliezer G: they will greet you

Rabbi Eliezer G: invite you to the table

Rabbi Eliezer G: they will sing several Hebrew melodies

Rabbi Eliezer G: they might explain it in english for your sake

Rabbi Eliezer G: they will chant a blessing over a cup of wine

Rabbi Eliezer G: they will go to the sink and wash their hands in a ritual fashion

Rabbi Eliezer G: fill a cup and pour three times over the right hand and three times over the left hand

Rabbi Eliezer G: they will return to the table

Rabbi Eliezer G: and recite a blessing over two whole loaves of bread, called 'Challah'

Rabbi Eliezer G: they will not interrupt with any kind of talk between washing and the blessing over the bread

Rabbi Eliezer G: they will dip the bread in salt and eat a piece

Rabbi Eliezer G: then the meal will be served, and regular chat and conversation can commence

Rabbi Eliezer G: of course there may be variations to this and it all depends on how carefuly your friends observes the traditions

Rabbi Eliezer G: there may be Hebrew melodies interspersed throughout the meal, and about a few minute blessing chanted in the end

Rabbi Eliezer G: the appropraite greeting is either Good Shabbos in English or Shabbat Shalom in Hebrew

William: wow

William: okay, so this will be very long!

Rabbi Eliezer G: maybe two hours

William: I think they are observant. I know he doesn't eat food at the mall because his religion wants him to eat certain foods.

Rabbi Eliezer G: I hope you enjoyed our conversation as much as I have and I hope that it was informative for you.

Rabbi Eliezer G: Thank you for visiting Ask Moses today and I invite you to come back at any time

William: okay Rabbi. Have a nice day. thanks for your help.

Challah
A loaf of bread. Usually refers to: 1) The section of dough separated and given to the priest (today that section is burnt). 2) The sweetened, soft bread customarily consumed at the Sabbath meals.