What is the history of Chalav Yisrael?

Why do we send away the angels on Friday before eating?

by Rabbi Yossi Marcus

Library » Shabbat » Shabbat Meals | Subscribe | What is RSS?

There are two reasons given: One is that the angels may have to leave if things turn out not as peaceful as they should be. The other is that the angels cannot endure the Infinite Light which shines at the time of Kiddush.

At any rate, why wait ‘til after? Welcome those angels into your home as soon as you get in.

Also

Posted by: D, MA on Mar 09, 2005

B"H
Also angles don't eat, so why should they stay any longer?

Article: Why do we send away the angels on Friday before eating?

Posted by: Anonymous, Brooklyn, NY on Apr 06, 2005

Interesting answers, Rabbi Marcus.

Note that the Bobover Rebbes ZY"A did not recite "Tzeischem LeShalom" with the rest of Shalom Aleichem, the idea being to keep them around for the entire meal. I don't recall if they recited it at the end of the meal. At least one of my sons will be at "Tish" this Shabbos so I'll have to ask him. Presumably the new Rebbe will follow the same tradition.

-- Y.S.

Posted by: Y.S., Brooklyn, NY on Apr 08, 2005

Rabbi Marcus,

I got the answer: My son pointed out that in the Bobover "Zemiros" sidur, the verse "Tzeischem Lesholom" does not appear at all.

If the person who posed the original question is *really* bothered by this question, perhaps he/she should consider becoming a Bobover chassid. :-)

Shalom Aleichem

Posted by: Shmuel Kaplan on Feb 06, 2006

In some Sephardic traditions, there is an additional paragraph, BiShivt'chem L'Shalom, "When you are seated in peace...". This implies that the angels do indeed satay for the Shabbat dinner. The following paragraph then reads, B'Tzeitchem L'shalom, In your leaving, or When you leave, implying that we wish the angels to stay even longer with us.
Kiddush
Prayer recited at the beginning of the Sabbath or Holiday meal--both the evening and afternoon meals. This prayer, acknowledging the sanctity of the day, is recited over a cup of wine or grape juice.