What is wrong with masturbation?

Where can I find the prayers for the Friday Night Shabbat meal?

by Rabbi Yossi Marcus

Library » Shabbat » Shabbat Meals | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Right here.

(I would also recommend a small book called "The Shabbat Table Companion", which you can order from Jewishlearninggroup.com)

Shalom Aleichem:

Before beginning the Shabbat meal, we welcome the angels who are said1 to visit us on Friday evening by singing the following:

Sha-lom a-lei-chem, mal-a-chei ha-sha-reit, mal-a-chei el-yon, mi-me-lech ma-l'chei ha-m'la-chim, ha-ka-dosh ba-ruch hu. [Translation: Peace unto you, ministering angels, messengers of the Most High, of the supreme King of kings, the Holy One, blessed be He]. (x3)

Bo-a-chem l'sha-lom, mal-a-chei ha-sha-lom, mal-a-chei el-yon, mi-me-lech ma-l'chei ha-m'la-chim, ha-ka-dosh ba-ruch hu. [May your coming be in peace, angels of peace, messengers of the Most High, of the supreme King of kings, the Holy One, blessed be He]. (x3)

Bar-chu-ni l'sha-lom, mal-a-chei ha-sha-lom, mal-a-chei el-yon, mi-me-lech ma-l'chei ha-m'la-chim, ha-ka-dosh ba-ruch hu. [Bless me with peace, angels of peace, messengers of the Most High, of the supreme King of kings, the Holy One, blessed be He]. (x3)

Tsei-t'chem l'sha-lom, mal-a-chei ha-sha-lom, mal-a-chei el-yon, mi-me-lech ma-l'chei ha-m'la-chim, ha-ka-dosh ba-ruch hu. [May your departure be in peace, angels of peace, messengers of the Most High, of the supreme King of kings, the Holy One, blessed be He]. (x3)

We continue with the following verses from Plsams:

Translation: For He will instruct His angels in your behalf, to guard you in all your ways.2 G-d will guard your going and your coming from now and for all time.3

Aishet Chayil

The following song was written by King Solomon and extols the Woman of Valor.4

Eshet chayil mee yimtza, Verachok mi’pninim michra. Batach ba lev baala, Veshalal lo yechsar. Gemelat’hu tov velo ra, Kol yemay chayeha. Darsha tzemer ufishtim, Vatas bechefetz kapeha. Hayta ka’aniyot socher, Memerchak tavee lachma. Vatakem be’od layla, Vateeten teref levayta vechok lenaroteha. Zamema sadeh vatikacheyhu, Mepree chapeha nata karem. Chagra b’oz matneha, Vateametz zro’oteha. Ta’ama kee tov sachra, Lo yichbe balayla neyra. Yadeha shilcha bekishor, Vechapeha tamchu falech. Kapa parsa le’ani, Veyadeha shilcha le’evyon. Lo tira levayta meshaleg, Kee chol vayta lavush shanim. Marvadim as’ta la, Shesh várgaman levusha. Noda bashearim ba’la, Beshivto im ziknei aretz. Sadin as’ta vatimkor, Vachagor natna laknani. Oz vehadar levusha, Vatischak leyom acharon. Piha patcha bechachma, Vetorat chesed al leshona. Tzofiya halichot bayta, Velechem atzlut lo tocheil. Kamu vaneha vay’ashruha, Bala vayehal’la. Rabot banot asu chayil, V’at alit al kulana. Sheker hachen, Vehevel hayofi, Isha yirat A-donay, He tit’halal. Tnu la Mipri yadeha, Vi’yhaleluha bashearim maseha.

Translation: Who can find a wife of excellence? Her value far exceeds that of gems. The heart of her husband trusts in her, he lacks no gain. She treats him with goodness, never with evil, all the days of her life. She seeks out wool and flax, and works willingly with her hands. She is like the merchant ships; she brings her food from afar. She rises while it is still night, gives food to her household, and sets out the tasks for her maids. She considers a field and buys it; from her earnings she plants a vineyard. She girds her loins with strength, and flexes her arms. She realizes that her enterprise is profitable; her lamp does not go out at night. She puts her hands on the spindle, and her palms grasp the distaff. She holds out her hand to the poor, and extends her hands to the destitute. She does not fear for her household in the frost, for her entire household is clothed [warmly] in scarlet. She makes her own tapestries; her garments are of fine linen and purple. Her husband is well-known at the gates, as he sits with the elders of the land. She makes linens and sells [them]; she provides the merchants with girdles. Strength and dignity are her garb, she looks smilingly toward the future. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She watches the conduct of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise and acclaim her, her husband --- and he praises her: Many daughters have done worthily, but you surpass them all. Charm is deceptive and beauty is naught; a G-d-fearing woman is the one to be praised. Give her praise for her accomplishments, and let her deeds laud her at the gates.

• 1. Talmud tractate Shabbat 119b
  • 2. Psalms 91:11
  • 3. Psalms 121:8
  • 4. Proverbs 31:10-31
TAGS: zemiros

Kiddush
Prayer recited at the beginning of the Sabbath or Holiday meal--both the evening and afternoon meals. This prayer, acknowledging the sanctity of the day, is recited over a cup of wine or grape juice.
David
King of Israel who succeeded Saul, becoming king of Israel in 876 BCE. Originally a shepherd, he became popular after he killed the Philistine strongman, Goliath. He is the progenitor of the Davidic royal dynasty -- which will return to the throne with the arrival of King Messiah.
Solomon
Son of King David, and succeeded him on the throne of Israel in the year 836 BCE. he was the wisest man to ever live. He built the first Holy Temple and authored several books of the Bible.
Exodus
1. The miraculous departure of the Israelites from Egyptian bondage in 1312 BCE. 2. The second of the Five Books of Moses. This book describes the aforementioned Exodus, the giving of the Torah, and the erection of the Tabernacle.