Is it permissible for me to put my pet bird in its cage on Shabbat?

What is "Muktzeh"?

Library » Shabbat » Forbidden Activities | Subscribe | What is RSS?

The laws of Muktzeh are numerous and quite complex. For a comprehensive understanding of these laws it is necessary to study the relevant chapters in the Code of Jewish Law. There also are some English books on the topic, (see www.judaica-world.com).

The following are the bare basics:

There are certain articles which we are forbidden to handle on the Shabbat. These objects are called "muktzeh," which means "separated" [from us].

The laws of muktzeh are numerous and quite complex. For a comprehensive understanding of these laws it is necessary to study the relevant chapters in the Code of Jewish Law
Any object which serves a use which is forbidden on Shabbat - such as a pen, an axe, a calculator, etc. - is considered muktzeh.

It is permitted to move certain muktzeh items under certain circumstances - for example, if you need the place it is occupying.

Again, it would be quite impossible to comprehensively cover this subject within the parameters of this forum. I would advise you to study the subject or join a class on the Laws of Shabbat. Check out www.chabad.org for local class listings.

TAGS: Muktzeh

Muktzeh
An object which may not be moved on Shabbat or Jewish holidays, usually because it serves no permissible purpose on these days.